Friday, January 3, 2014

DIY Fringe Boots, Groovy Baby

What do you do when a friend is PCS'ing to Hawaii?
Have a Luau 60's theme party!
{PCS=military move}




I originally thought that the hippie theme wouldn't work, but everyone seriously embraced it. The best part, was that I already had everything but the fringe boots, which I made myself! More on that in a bit...


You may not know this, but Will and I were born in the wrong generation. We lust over everything vintage, think/act like we were raised in the 50's, and now we look like we lived in the 60's. He even picked that shirt himself. H-O-T-T, HOT! As were my girls...

I'm very happy to say, that it was one of my favorite nights after three years in Colorado. I love anytime I can dress up, Will and I both drank without any trouble, and some great memories were made. It's actually sad to think it may be the last big night out for us here. *Tear* Only one month to go.

But enough of that, the night was still young! 
After the party, it's the after party...

Oooh lawd, and this is where I admit that we are too old for after parties. Don't get me wrong, it was super duper fun, but drinking until 4AM just ain't supposed to happen anymore. Luckily, I have the best husband EVER, and he took care of me for the next two days. He even brought me McDonald's AND pizza in bed. My hero...like for serious.

But let's get to the real reason we are here...may I repeat, I MADE those fringe boots. I wasn't about to buy fringe boots for the party {who are we kidding, I just couldn't find ones that I liked}, so I made fringe to go with a pair of boots I already had!


#1 Pick out the boots you want to transform, and match them with fringe and coordinating ribbon. In my case I only had one fringe color option, so I just made sure that the beaded ribbon I chose brought the two colors together.**
#2 I put on nude knee length socks, scrunched them to where I wanted them on my calf, and cut the ribbon to fit. Leave a little extra to overlap, and hem the edge if it is likely to fray.
#3 Sew the fringe to the bottom of the ribbon. Use a sewing machine if you are so inclined, but a hand stitch is just fine.
#4 Now, you could sew it to the socks, but I wanted to be able to transfer the fringe to other socks, and I felt the need to be able to wash the socks after without ruining the fringe. Instead, I simply used safety pins from the inside to attach the ribbon to the socks {while I was wearing them so they were stretched out}, and continued to wrap the fringe to cover the top of the boots, pinning a few spots to keep it in place. Done son.

Can we just agree that if duct tape had a little sister, it would be safety pins? Easy Peasy, and finished in less than an hour. All in all, I spent $15 dollars on the whole outfit by using things I already had and downloading the Joann Fabric app to get access to all their coupons. ** Do it now if you haven't already, and Michaels/Hobby Lobby while you are at it. It just makes me realize that I really need to utilize my DIY skills more often, and I am totally patting myself on the back right now.

Now that I've had a week to recuperate from my hangover, I'm off to Fort Lauderdale for a long weekend. It's going to be a fun girls weekend, but I already know I will be missing Will. I just keep reminding myself it's only four days! Hopefully I'll be able to check in on Monday, but I make no promises. Helloooo warm weather and sandy beaches, oh how I have missed you! 
Peace and love, groovy babes.



17 comments:

My-cliffnotes said...

Fab job on the fringe boots!! Great idea!!

Courtney B said...

LOVE the boots! The look awesome, my talented friend.
What a fun night. If it is your last big night in CO... best note to end on, right?! :)

P!nky said...

You are so stinking talented, I mean I just can't friend! WOW! Y'all look super amazing too! woohoo partaaaaaaaaay!

Helene in Between said...

i cannot believe you made these!!! i love them and you look gorg (like duh)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! Those boots look so "real", as in from the store!

Kenzie Smith said...

Looks like a super fun party!! Love the fringe boots you made - they turned out awesome!

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

Those look great!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Great job on the boots love the fringe. That headband is so pretty, love the color!

Holly said...

That party looks so fun! And those boots are so adorable! You crafty thing, you! Hope you have a great time in Fort Lauderdale!

Jamie Hart said...

You kill me with your creativeness! (hopefully I spelled that right) You all looked fabulous and Will is your Superman-- no doubt!!

Rach said...

Janna, those boots look great! You are so creative! And I love that everyone went all out and got dressed up for the party. It looks like you guys had fun! :)

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Will always looks SO happy, I just love it! Yall are the cutest.

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Looks like a fun blast from the past!!! Good times, its always hard to leave such great friends!!!

Kelly said...

You are adorable!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

Kathryn B said...

Sounds like fun! My husband and I say the same thing about us as well. We should have lived during the 50's. :)
Hope you have a great weekend in Florida!

Jamie said...

You looked so cute though!

Kait said...

I wish that YOU were PCSing to Hawaii!! Tell your friend if she has any questions to let me know!! XO

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...