Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Crab Cakes With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

My Aunt {Hi Aunt Edie!} asked for the recipe for my favorite Crab Cake sauce, so I figured I might as well share it with y'all too.




It is actually a Whole Foods Recipe that is now available on Pinterest, but I baked them instead of nasty frying and upped the spice. I always up the spice.

Makes about 24 small crab cakes, enough for 8 appe.

Ingredients:

1 pound lump crabmeat
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seafood seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 egg
6 tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
1/4 cup chopped jarred roasted red bell pepper
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon expeller-pressed canola oil, more if needed

I used 2 tbs Dijon Mustard and 1 tsp dry mustard
Subbed Miracle Whip Light (Hubby's choice)
I did not need the oil and baked them on tin foil for less clean up so they didn't stick.
I added more hot sauce in the sauce, but don't go overboard. 
I chose Frank's Red Hot. It's my go-to.
You need 1 tsp Baking Powder if you decide to bake.

Method:

Place crab meat in a large bowl and use your fingers to gently feel for and remove any pieces of shell or cartilage. Add green onions, bread crumbs, seafood seasoning and pepper and toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, egg and 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise and pour over the crab mixture.
{and 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp dry mustard}
Toss until combined, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a blender {food processor or immersion blender works even better}, combine bell pepper, hot sauce, zest and remaining 4 tablespoons mayonnaise; blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

To Fry:
Form the crab mixture into 24 small cakes, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, fry cakes until nicely browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Drain briefly on a paper-towel lined plate and serve warm with the pepper sauce.

To Bake:
Preheat oven to 375*
Grease baking sheet or line with tinfoil.
I didn't worry about mini cakes. I just formed regular sized Crab Cakes 3/4 inch thick, spread them on the tinfoil (spaced so that they have room to crisp up on all sides), and baked for 15 min. Turn cakes over (gently) and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. They should be a nice brown color on top.

Nutritional Info:
PER SERVING:Serving size: about 3 mini cakes, 150 calories (100 from fat), 11g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 45mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 1g sugar), 5g protein If you make eight large Crab Cakes, the nutrition is equivalent to three mini cakes, only a little better and less fat! Woohoo.

I could eat that Roasted Red Pepper sauce on EVERYTHING.
I'm just gonna have to make this again soon.
Photobucket
You will almost never see anything fried in my house. Hubby even has his own fryer and I won't eat out of it; I would rather faux-fry everything in the oven. I eat fried foods when we eat out, so why would I do it at home when I have the option to make a healthy choice? We even get the dishes done while the food bakes instead of standing at the stove for half an hour getting popped by unhealthy frying grease. Easy and healthy is the way to go. Don't you think?



21 comments:

Helene said...

Umm yum!! And love your frying standpoint. Good idea.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Crab cakes are among my favorite things on the red lobster menu - but these look like they would put those to shame!

Jenn said...

Mmmm, I love crab cakes. These look delish!

P!nky said...

Yum, those sound delicious!

I love the fact you baked them, such a smarty pants you are!

xoxo

Kelly said...

Mmmm sounds delish!! Can't wait to try out this recipe :)

-kelly
sweettea-lemonade.blogspot.com

Jen said...

These sound amazing!! :)

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

Agreed! We've never fried a thing in our house. I don't eat seafood but I did try crab cakes about a year ago and surprise, surprise-I actually like them!!

ms.composure said...

mmmmmm crab cakes!!

what i would give to have some right now!!! LoL

hope you had a great holiday break! :-)


http://infinitelifefitness.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Rach said...

I'm the exact same! We eat healthily at home so we can eat whatever we want when we go out. :)

Just Another Shopaholic said...

Yummy:) They look super good.

Nicole said...

Don't like anything that comes out of the water, but not going to lie, I could probably give these a whirlygig :)

My-cliffnotes said...

Yum! M hates crab though dangit

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

I just fell more in love with you. Now come make them for me. I absolutely love crab cakes.

lesley: the dream tree said...

E got a fry daddy for christmas last year and we still have yet to use it because i don't like to fry stuff at home. maybe if he has guys over he can, but it's baking all the way for us!

Jamie said...

My husband breaks out his fryer a couple times a year... Yuck.

cynthia said...

Crab cakes are one of my favorite foods. Fried, baked, sauced...whatever :P Sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE crab cakes. Probably more than one should. A few weeks ago I was craving them like crazy. hey were literally all I was thinking or talking about.

Jess said...

Yummmmmm!!!! I loooooove crab cakes! Can't wait to try this recipe!

Miss Rachel M. said...

This recipe sounds so yummy!!

Miss Rachel M. said...

This recipe sounds so yummy!!

Miss Rachel M. said...

This recipe sounds so yummy!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...